Medical Coding, CertificateCollege of Arts and Sciences
Become a Highly-Sought Medical Records Specialist
Medical Coders are skilled professionals working with health care organizations of every description to manage medical data from patient records. Indiana Tech’s Medical Coding certificate prepares students to enter this in-demand career field that features rapidly growing career opportunities with hospitals, health clinics, medical practices, dental offices, chiropractors, medical insurance companies, government agencies, and more.
Medical coding practitioners review patient records and assign alpha-numeric codes for each diagnosis and procedure. The Indiana Tech medical coding program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become proficient in applying ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, and CPT codes to advanced medical cases.
Indiana Tech’s Medical Coding certificate program provides students with the opportunity to take the leading national certification exams for those working in the industry. The program prepares students for the Certified Professional Coder exam, offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC); and the Certified Coding Associate and Certified Coding Specialist exams, both offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
All credits earned as part of this certificate can be applied toward Indiana Tech’s Health Information Technology associate degree program, to which prepares students to become certified as Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT).
Student Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion of the Medical Coding undergraduate certificate, students will be prepared to:
- Analyze and interpret medical record documentation.
- Recognize medical terms associated with various body systems.
- Demonstrate the interconnectedness of body structures.
- Communicate effectively in a professional healthcare environment.
- Identify the importance of medical coding in upholding ethical billing practices and securing reimbursement for health care services.
- Accurately assign:
- ICD-10-CM for diagnostic coding
- ICD-10-PCS coded to medical cases
- CPT codes for coding medical procedures
- National and local HCPCS codes and modifiers
Earning an Indiana Tech certificate is an affordable, time-efficient way to boost your skills and your career prospects:
- Increase your hiring and earnings potential.
- Enhance your skills.
- Increase your job and career security.
- Expand your professional network.
- Earn significant credits that can be applied to pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree.