Indiana Tech Cybersecurity Center
As more and more high-profile corporations endure debilitating cyberattacks that negatively affect their reputations and their profitability, the need grows for talented cybersecurity professionals to help them defend their digital infrastructures. In fact, Cybersecurity Ventures, a world leader in research for the global cyber economy and a trusted source of cybersecurity information, estimates there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity positions worldwide by 2025.
That’s why Indiana Tech introduced its cybersecurity degree program in 2016—to develop top-notch professionals who are proficient in combatting cybercriminals at all levels of enterprise. We are succeeding, too, as graduates from our program have been hired by companies like Microsoft, Lincoln Financial Group and Emerson.
Our Program’s Growth
The following achievements further exemplify how Indiana Tech’s commitment to deliver world-class cybersecurity education has never been stronger:
- In January 2023, the university was designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD) for its Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity degree program. This designation, which is valid through academic year 2028, is awarded to institutions meeting the newest standards of cybersecurity from National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—co-sponsors of a program created to develop skilled cybersecurity professionals across a variety of government agencies at federal, state and local levels. Indiana Tech is one of six universities in the state to earn this designation.
- In 2022, as part of $21.5 million expansion and renovation of its Talwar College of Engineering and Computer Sciences, Indiana Tech created the following areas to strengthen the learning experience for cybersecurity and computer science students:
- A state-of-the-art security operations center, which allows students to monitor and learn from activity on the university’s network.
- A digital forensics lab, where simulated crime scenes can be created to give students practice at incident response and digital forensics investigation.
- A data center, where professors can customize virtual environments to test their students’ knowledge and skills.
- In 2021, driven by the outstanding reputations of Indiana Tech’s Center for Criminal Justice and its cybersecurity degree program, the Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council chose to partner with the university for one of 10 High Tech Crime Units in the state. Through this collaboration, students assist prosecutors and local law enforcement in analyzing and processing digital evidence, which yields faster turnaround times and more thorough investigations.
- Over the past two decades, the university’s cyber competition team, the Cyber Warriors, has become a national power. The Cyber Warriors have won Indiana’s Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition 16 of 18 times and finished among the nation’s top 10 teams in 2007, 2011 and 2018. What’s more, every member of the Cyber Warriors has secured a job in their career field prior to graduation for four years running.
Our knowledgeable faculty provide students with the skill set, guidance and mentorship needed to perform various roles within cybersecurity domain like network security, digital forensics and penetration testing.
- Data Analytics and Cybersecurity, Graduate Certificate
- Health Information and Cybersecurity, Graduate Certificate
- Supply Chain Management and Cybersecurity, Graduate Certificate
Indiana Tech’s cybersecurity degree program is comprised of the following coursework:
- CYS 1100 – Introduction to Cybersecurity
- CYS 2100 – Network & Web Security Analysis
- CYS 2300 – Defensive CyberOps and Audit
- CYS 3200 – Digital Forensics
- CYS 3500 – Offensive CyberOps & Vulnerability
- CYS 4100 – Cybersecurity Project I
- CYS 4200 – Cybersecurity Project II
- CYS 4950 – Internship
- CYS 4990 – Special Topics in Cybersecurity
- Dr. Vijayanth Tummala (Director for Cybersecurity Center)
- Dr. Stephanos Mavromoustakos
- Brian Lewandowski
- Don Stafford
- Matt Hansen
- Patricia Tanner
- Paul Meitz
- Herman Kromer