Computer Science, B.S.School of Computer Sciences
For students interested in computer science, Indiana Tech offers two options: a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science. Both programs provide a broad background in the field of computer science, with extensive work in program development, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, computer system architecture, network architecture, theory of computation, software engineering and programming language design.
The bachelor of science option will focus on software design and development, computational math and networking. Your coursework will be steeped in mathematics and science. The degree will prepare you to design and create software to meet a variety of needs.
Why choose Indiana Tech?
- You will take on software projects of increasing sophistication as you progress through your coursework.
- An abundance of opportunities to explore and learn outside the classroom will be available to you, including participation with the Cyber Warriors, Indiana Tech’s cybersecurity team; the Math Club; or our chapters of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) or the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- An optional and informal one-hour class is held weekly to help students reinforce concepts learned in the classroom.
- Indiana Tech fosters an active learning environment, enriched by instructors who possess years of experience in their respective fields.
B.S. in Computer Science, 2018
Careers in this Degree
Graduates with this degree have gone on to become software engineers, software developers, web developers, database programmers and system administrators in a variety of fields. They are also well-equipped to continue their education in graduate school, especially with a minor in mathematics.
Below are some of the potential career opportunities available to graduates with this degree. Additionally, you will find national statistics for average annual salaries and projected job growth, as identified by BLS.gov statistics. Salaries can vary based on the market in which you live and the prior experience you bring to the position.
- Software developer $105,590/year
Job outlook through 2028: 21 percent increase
- Computer programmer $84,280/year
Job outlook through 2028: 7 percent decrease
- Database administrator $90,070/year
Job outlook through 2028: 9 percent increase
- Web developer $69,430/year
Job outlook through 2028: 13 percent increase
- Computer network architect $109,020/year
Job outlook through 2028: 5 percent increase
Warriors in the Workplace
Indiana Tech graduates with this degree have earned jobs at:
- Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions
- Do it Best Corp.
Internship opportunities Indiana Tech students pursuing this degree have interned with:
- American Electric Power
- B.F. Goodrich
- Vera Bradley
- DTE Energy
- Ottenweller Contracting
- Emerson Commercial
- Steel Dynamics
Professor Mansfield has extensive experience in computer engineering, computer systems and software engineering. She has also played an active role in the success of Indiana Tech’s champion Cyber Warriors collegiate cybersecurity team, having served multiple years as team coach and advisor. Professor Mansfield is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Computer Science-Software Engineering from Auburn University.
- M.B.A., Indiana Tech
- B.S., Computer Engineering Indiana Tech