Energy Engineering, B.S.College of Engineering
Are you concerned about the world’s reliance on fossil fuels? Would you like to investigate alternative energy sources or sustainable practices that will protect the earth and preserve it for future generations? With a degree in energy engineering from Indiana Tech, pioneering techniques for creating energy that is essential for modern living will be within your reach. This includes finding ways to use fossil fuels more efficiently and in ways that won’t harm the environment.
Your coursework will focus on mastering the fundamental science and math relevant to energy production, distribution and end use. You will learn to apply engineering concepts, calculations and computer models to solve problems and analyze designs in these areas.
Why choose Indiana Tech?
- You will learn from monitoring and analyzing a 120-foot-tall wind turbine on campus, capable of generating 400 to 1,000 kilowatt hours of energy per month.
- A U.S. Department of Energy grant allowed Indiana Tech to partner with WaterFurnace International to develop and install a geothermal system on campus. You will partner with your professors and WaterFurnace’s research and development scientists to monitor, test equipment and analyze the findings.
- Coursework will include fundamentals of business and finance— essential for engineers who often need to balance business and technical issues in order to complete a project and bring it to market. A strong focus on sustainability and the multiple aspects of global climate science will be stressed.
- Participation in sophisticated projects will put your classroom knowledge to practical use and prepare you to deal with issues that real-world engineering teams encounter—resource allocation, meeting milestones and common technical hurdles.
- Indiana Tech fosters an active learning environment, enriched by instructors who possess years of experience in their respective field
Careers in this Degree
Graduates with this degree have pursued careers in the following fields:
- Electric, gas and utility industries
- Alternative energy (wind, solar, biomass) industries
- Transportation (hybrid electric technology)
- Sustainable building HVAC
Below are some of the potential career opportunities available to graduates with this degree. Additionally, you will find national statistics for average annual salaries, as identified by Glassdoor.com statistics. Salaries can vary based on the market in which you live and the prior experience you bring to the position.
- Energy engineer $77,806/year
- Energy efficiency engineer $78,000/year
- Energy systems engineer $80,000/year
- Energy analyst $69,000/year
Warriors in the Workplace
Indiana Tech graduates with this degree have earned jobs at:
- WaterFurnace International
- Mahlo, America
- Therma-Tru Doors
- AllCell Technology
- Anomatic Corp
Indiana Tech students pursuing this degree have interned with:
- Fort Wayne City Utilities
- All Cell Technologies
- RECON Corporation
- Associates Environmental
- Chesapeake Bay Management
- Therma-Tru Door
Dr. Renie’s extensive career has spanned both academic experiences (22-plus years at University of Illinois, Indiana Univerisity-Purdue University Fort Wayne, Ivy Tech and Indiana Tech) as well as industry (15 years at Dana Corporation and in driveline engineering consultation). His previous research in the aerospace area (rocket and gas turbine combustion), as well as his design and laboratory testing in the automotive and off-highway area of transportation, affords him a wide range of expertise to share with students in the engineering studies. Currently, he is involved in solar and wind societies, both local and national, and has travelled over the past five years with students to international venues to study renewable and sustainable practices. He is a member of Indiana Tech’s Sustainability Committee. He drives a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV).
- Ph.D., Engineering Purdue University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering Purdue University
- B.S. Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering Purdue University