Joshua C. Francis, Ph.D.
Dean, College of General Studies; Associate Professor of Education
Phone: 260.422.5561, ext. 2343
Office: Academic Center, Room 148
EDU 3500 Methods for Secondary Mathematics
Office Hours are by Appointment
College of General Studies
Academic Advisor Roles
- Ph.D., Educational Sociology (2015), University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
- M.A., Mathematics Education (2007), Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- B.S., Mathematics, (2006), Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- B.A., Religion and Ministry, (2002), Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- 2016-Present: Dean, College of General Studies, Indiana Tech, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- 2015-Present: Associate Professor of Education, Indiana Tech, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- 2015-2016: Director of Teacher Preparation, Indiana Tech, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- 2013-2015: Director of Assessment, Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- 2011-2015: Director of Teacher Education, Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- 2012-2013: Interim Director, Hench Autism Studies Program, Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- 2009-2015: Assistant Professor of Education, Defiance College, Defiance, Ohio
- Francis, J. (2015). Diversity and Social Justice in Teacher Education Accreditation Standards: 1995 to 2013. (Doctoral Dissertation). University of Toledo, Toledo, OH.
- Francis, J. (2013, October). Democratic Education, Public Reason, and Conscientious Social Reproduction. In D. Snauwaert (Chair), Public Reason and Democratic Education. Presented at the 2013 American Educational Studies Association Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Francis, J. (2013, April). A Philosophical and Historical Overview of Democratic Education: Sociological and Pedagogical Implications. Presented at the 2013 Annual McMaster Symposium, Defiance, OH.
- Francis, J.C. (2012). Designing Teacher Education for Human Rights. In Factis Pax, 6(1), 36-50.
- Duck, M., Francis, J. (2010, November). “Top” This! Toys, Tops and Other Gyroscopes. Presented at the 2010 NWO Symposium on Science, Mathematics and Technology Teaching, Toledo, Ohio.
- Francis, J., Doraiswamy, N., Strickler, L., Hamer, L., Pistorova, S., Thapa, O., Mirzoyants, A. (2009, June). Participatory Action Research as Effective Pedagogy: A Case Study. Presented at the 21st Annual Ethnographic and Qualitative Research Conference, Cedarville, Ohio.
- Pistorova, S., Francis, J., Doraiswamy, N., Hamer, L. (2009, June). Merging Worlds and Blurring the Lines: When methods of PAR lead to prolonged civic engagement in a local neighborhood center. Presented at the American Democracy Project Conference, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Abdullah, A., Strickler, L., Francis, J., Doraiswamy, N., Hamer, L., Pistorova, S., Kovar, B., Thapa, O. (2009, April). Light the Night: A Participatory Action Research Project. Presented at the Judith Herb College of Education Research Colloquium, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
Member of the Elementary Education Advisory Board, Ivy Tech Community College, Fall 2016-Present
Member of the Liberal Arts Advisory Board, Ivy Tech Community College, Spring 2016-Present
Member of the Indiana Department of Education Blue Ribbon Commission for the Recruitment and Retention of Excellent Educators, September 2015-December 2015
Provided expert testimony to Indiana Legislature Bipartisan Committee on State Teacher Shortage, October, 2015
Executive Board member for the Ohio Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, 2012-2015
Executive Board Member for the Ohio Confederation of Teacher Education Organizations, 2012-2015
Board President, Williams County Veterans Military Heritage Museum
Member of the Sons of the American Legion
Member of the Sons of the American Revolution
Summary of Experience
Dr. Francis has experience as both a teacher educator and as administrative faculty in higher education. His career in higher education began as a teacher educator in the middle childhood and mathematics education programs at Defiance College. After serving 1 year as an instructor, Dr. Francis was awarded a tenure track position. At the beginning of his third year, he was offered the opportunity to become the Head of the Teacher Education Program at Defiance College.
As the Head of Teacher Education, Dr. Francis maintained the programs national recognition with the Specialized Professional Associations (such as the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics) or state approval through the Ohio Board of Regents. In addition, Dr. Francis was responsible for maintaining the programs national accreditation through NCATE/CAEP. During his tenure as the Head of Teacher Education, Dr. Francis restructured the curriculum and assessment systems of all the licensure programs in order to provide teacher candidates a more developmental approach to developing their pedagogical skill while more than doubling the amount of clinical practice that candidates receive prior to student teaching. During his fourth year at Defiance College, Dr. Francis was also appointed as the Director of Assessment. While in this position, he revised the annual major learning outcome review process and the institutional academic program review process and chaired the institution’s Academic Assessment Committee.
Dr. Francis now serves as the Dean of General Studies and Associate Professor of Education at Indiana Tech. Within General Studies, Dr. Francis oversees programs in Education, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Exercise Science, Recreation Therapy, Intensive English and general education coursework.