Robert M. Badeau
College of Arts and Sciences
Phone: 260.422.5561, ext. 3475
Cell Phone: 603.767.3869
Office: Zollner Engineering Center
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Human Health and Disease
Ph.D. Medicine; University of Helsinki
M.Sc. Molecular and Cellular Pathobiology; Wake Forest University
B.Sc. Cellular and Developmental Biology; Purdue University
Dr. Badeau’s research interest is in human cardiometabolic disease pathogenesis. He has years of real-world clinical experience using medical imaging technologies, including positron emission tomography and computed tomography, and also is a pioneer in high-throughput metabolomic technologies. He is on the forefront of modern obesity research by working in collaboration to develop therapeutic interventions to ameliorate insulin resistance severity and related comorbidities in morbidly obese individuals. He serves as an active member of the American Heart Association on the Council of Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health and also with the American Diabetes Association. He has won several awards and honors related to his scholarly pursuits.
Before coming to Indiana Tech, Dr. Badeau served at a New England university as a coordinator in a thriving undergraduate BS Health Science Program. During his teaching career, he has developed innovative curricula; secured several high-quality internships to external sites, including with a Fortune 500 company; advised and help place graduating students into full-time careers at metropolitan hospitals and in US Army-related occupations; led effective and successful community outreach initiatives; advised athletic programs; served on undergraduate and graduate advisory committees; and has received highly positive and above average teaching and course evaluations. He was recruited to lead Indiana Tech’s modern and important B.S. Health Science Program.
- Original (primary) biomedical-based peer-reviewed publications:
- Badeau RM, Immonen H, Honka MJ, Juonala M, Barnum K, Hannukainen JC, Nuutila P. (2019) Circulating glycoprotein N-acetyl glucosamine residue signatures indicative of systemic acute-phase reactants and lactate concentrations associate with hepatic insulin resistance in bariatric surgery patients. Under review.
- Badeau RM, Honka MJ, Bucci M, Iozzo P, Eriksson JG, Nuutila P. (2017) Circulating docosahexaenoic acid associates with insulin-dependent skeletal muscle and whole body glucose uptake in older women born from normal weight mothers. Nutrients, 9, 110.
- Bucci M, Huovinen V, Guzzardi MA, Koskinen S, Raiko JR, Lipponen H, Ahsan S, Badeau RM, Honka MJ, Koffert J, Savisto N, Salonen MK, Andersson J, Kullberg J, Sandboge S, Iozzo P, Eriksson JG, Nuutila P. (2015) Resistance training improves skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity in elderly offspring of overweight and obese mothers. Diabetolgia, 59:77-86.
- Bucci M, Huovinen V, Guzzardi MA, Koskinen S, Raiko J, Lipponen H, Badeau RM, Sarja N, Salonen MK, Andersson J, Kullberg J, Sandboge S, Iozzo P, Eriksson JG, Nuutila P. (2015) Maternal obesity and telomere length associate with skeletal muscle insulin resistance which is reversed by exercise training in elderly women. Diabetologia, 58.
- Badeau RM, Honka MJ, Immonen H, Hannukainen JC, Soininen P, Kangas AJ, Ala-Korpela M, Tontonoz P, Nuutila P. (2015) VLDL and HDL associate with hepatic glucose uptake, production, and the liver X receptor and its targets in morbidly obese before and after rapid weight-loss interventions. Atherosclerosis, 241: e106.
- Honka MJ, Bucci M, Andersson J, Huovinen V, Guzzardi MA, Sandboge S, Savisto N, Salonen MK, Badeau RM, Parkkola R, Kullberg J, Iozzo P, Eriksson JG, Nuutila P. (2016) Resistance training enhances insulin suppression of endogenous glucose production in elderly women. J. Appl. Physiol. 5:120:633-639.
- Bucci M, Karmi AC, Iozzo P, Fielding BA, Viljanen A, Badeau RM, Borra R, Lepomäki V, Pham T, Hannukainen JC, Haaparanta-Solin M, Viljanen T, Parkkola R, Frayn KN, Nuutila P. (2016) Enhanced fatty acid uptake in visceral adipose tissue is not reversed by weight loss in obese individuals with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetolgia, 58:158-164.
- Solomäki SP, Kemppainen J, Aho H, Hohenthal U, Kain R, Koivuviita N, Badeau RM, Seppänen M, Silvoniemi A, Roivainen A, Pirilä L. (2014) Widespread vascular inflammation in a patient with antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculatis as detected by positron emission tomography. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 41:2167-2168.
- Vogel A, Scheidt HA, Feller SE, Metso J, Badeau RM, Tikkanen MJ, Wähälä K, Jauhiainen M, Huster D. (2014) The orientation and dynamics of estradiol and estradiol oleate in lipid membranes and HDL disc models. Biophysical Journal, 107:114-125.
- Huovinen V, Saunavaara V, Kiviranta R, Tarkia M, Honka H, Stark C, Laine J, Linderborg K, Tuomikoski P, Badeau RM, Knuuti J, Nuutila P, Parkkola R. (2014) Vertebral bone marrow glucose uptake is inversely associated with bone marrow fat in diabetic and healthy pigs: [18F]FDG-PET and MRI study. Bone, 61:33-38.
- Badeau RM, Honka M-J, Lautamäki R, Stewart M, Kangas AJ, Soininen P, et al. (2014) Systemic metabolic markers and myocardial glucose uptake in type 2 diabetic and coronary artery dis-ease patients treated for 16-weeks with Rosiglitazone, a PPARγ agonist. Annals of Medicine, 46:18-23.
- Badeau RM, Metso J, Kovanen PT, Lee-Rueckert M, Tikkanen MJ, Jauhiainen M. (2013) The impact of gender and serum estradiol levels on HDL-mediated reverse cholesterol transport. European Journal of Clinical Investigation, 43:317-323.
- Klingenberg R, Gerdes N, Badeau RM, Gisterå, A, Strodthoff D, Ketelhuth DF, Lundberg AM, Rudling M, Nilsson SK, Olivecrona G, Zoller S, Lohmann C, Lüscher TF, Jauhiainen M, Sparwas-ser T, Hansson GK. (2013) Depletion of FOXP3+ regulatory T cells promotes hypercholesterole-mia and atherosclerosis. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 123:1323-1334.
- Maranghi M, Hiukka A, Badeau R, Sundvall J, Jauhiainen M, Taskinen MR. (2011) Macrophage cholesterol efflux to plasma and HDL in subjects with low and high homocysteine levels: A FIELD substudy. Atherosclerosis, 219:259-265.
- Scheidt HA, Badeau RM, Huster D. (2010) Investigating the membrane orientation and transversal distribution of 17beta-estradiol in lipid membranes by solid-state NMR. Chemistry of Physics of Lipids, 163:356-361.
- Badeau RM, Metso J, Wähälä K, Tikkanen MJ, Jauhiainen M. (2009) Human macrophage cholesterol efflux is enhanced by HDL-associated estradiol fatty acyl esters. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 116:44-49.
- Badeau RM, Metso J, Wähälä K, Tikkanen MJ, Jauhiainen M. (2009) Concerted scavenger receptor-BI and estrogen receptor-dependent 17-beta estradiol uptake and cholesterol efflux mediated by estradiol fatty acyl ester-enriched high-density lipoprotein particles in human THP1 macrophages. Atherosclerosis Supplements, 10 (2).
- Badeau MH, Badeau R, Jauhiainen M, Tikkanen MJ. (2008) Steroid hormone-fatty acid esters and bone. J Bone Miner Res, 23:1866-1867.
- Badeau RM, Metso J, Tikkanen MJ, Jauhiainen M. (2007) High-density lipoprotein-associated 17β-estradiol fatty acyl ester uptake by Fu5AH hepatoma cells: Implications for the roles of scavenger receptor class B, type I and the low-density lipoprotein receptor. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1771: 1329-1334.
- Badeau RM, Metso J, Tikkanen MJ, Jauhiainen M. (2007) Lipoprotein receptor-mediated cellular uptake of HDL-associated estradiol fatty acyl esters. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 149.
- Lee JY, Badeau RM, Mulya A, Boudyguina E, Gebre AK, Smith TL, Parks JS. (2007) Functional LCAT deficiency in human apolipoprotein A-I transgenic, SR-BI knockout mice. J Lipid Res, 48:1052-1061. IF: 4.39.
- Badeau RM, Jauhiainen M, Metso J, Nikander E, Tikkanen MJ, Ylikorkala O, Mikkola TS. (2007) Effect of isolated isoflavone supplementation on ABCA1-dependent cholesterol efflux potential in postmenopausal women. Menopause, 14:1-6.
- Liu G, Badeau RM, Tanimura A, Talamo BR. (2006) Odorant receptors directly activate phos-pholipase C/inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate coupled to calcium influx in Odora cells. J Neurochem., 96:1591-1605.
- Badeau RM, Nikander E, Jauhiainen M, Tikkanen M, Mikkola TS. (2005) Macrophage ABCA-I cholesterol efflux to serum from equol-producing and non-equol producing post-menopausal women treated with isoflavone tablets. Menopause, 12.