Assistant Professor, Education
Phone: 260.422.5561, ext. 2448
Cell Phone: N/A
Office: Academic Center, Room 265
- EDU 1000 Introduction to Education
- EDU 1010 Benchmark Preparation
- EDU 3000 Teaching Methods for Reading & Language Arts
- EDU 3055 Developing Content Area Literacy
- EDU 4850 Student Teaching Seminar
- MWF: 8 a.m.-Noon, 1-3 p.m.
School of Education
Academic Advisor Roles
- Masters, Education, Indiana Wesleyan University
- B.S., Elementary Education, Indiana University
- Indiana Writing Project at Ball State University, Co-Director Invitational Summer Institute, Teacher Consultant
- Whitley County Consolidated Schools, Columbia City, IN, Classroom teacher, Reading Recovery teacher
- All Write!!! Consortium, Classroom coach/mentor, Workshop presenter
- Fort Wayne Community Schools, Classroom teacher
- Indiana Teachers of Writing
- National Council of Teachers of English
For the past twenty years, as an educator, I have been involved with classroom instruction K-16. Teaching, coaching, and facilitating students and teachers is my passion. Working on the Indiana Tech team enables me to help prepare pre-service teachers to educate the future.
I have been a classroom teacher in the elementary setting, first with Fort Wayne Community Schools and then with Whitley County Consolidated Schools. As a classroom teacher and Reading Recovery teacher one of my greatest joys has been the confident smile on a child’s face as reading begins.
The Indiana Writing Project at Ball State initiated my literacy quest, prompting me to learn from Donald Graves, Lucy Calkins, Ralph Fletcher, Mem Fox, and Katie Wood Ray. As Co-Director of the Summer Institute at the Indiana Writing Project I assist teachers, PK-16, as they improve classroom instruction through their own inquiry. Focusing on the professional development model of teachers teaching teachers, I am committed to helping teachers improve classroom instruction through mentoring, reflection, and classroom observations.
As a coach, presenter, and teacher leader with All Write!!!, I have had the opportunity to participate in ongoing study groups facilitated first by JoAnn Portalupi and later by Carl Anderson. It is through these authors and other experts in the field, that I have based my work with students and master teachers in NE Indiana.
In my spare time, I enjoy and watching sunsets with my husband, working in our orchard, and spending time at the beach with my family.