Assistant Professor, Accounting
Phone: 260.422.5561, ext. 2397
Cell Phone: N/A
Office: Cunningham Business Center, Room 280
- MW: 6:30-8 a.m., 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- TR: 6:30-8 a.m., 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Course Schedule and Descriptions
- MWF 8-8:50 a.m.: ACC 2990 Information Systems
- MWF 9-9:50 a.m.: ACC 4700 Advanced Accounting I – Prerequisite: ACC 2240 or ACC 2340 with grade C or better. A study of selected accounting subjects and theory at the advanced level. Topics include business combinations and consolidations, EPS, multinational accounting, and partnership accounting. 3 credits. (3 plus 0)
- M 12-12:50 p.m.: IIT 1000 University Experience – Indiana Tech history, campus offices, student procedures, study skills, introduction to campus organizations, and scheduled activities with freshmen mentors. Pass/Fail format. 1 credit. (1 plus 0)
- TR 8-9:15 a.m.: BA 2200 Personal Finance – Prerequisites: MA 1000. A practical understanding of a personal financial plan and the decisions everyone is faced with throughout their lives. Establishing a financial plan, using credit and longterm loans, lease vs. buy decisions for autos and homes, insurance, and investment fundamentals. 3 credits. (3 plus 0)
- TR 9:30-10:45 a.m.: ACC 2400 Cost Accounting – Prerequisites: ACC 2140 with grade C or better. Day division students only. A study of cost accounting by the elements of cost: material, labor, and factory overhead. Job order cost accounting, process cost accounting and standard cost accounting variances for material, labor and factory overhead are developed in-depth. The use of cost information in inventory decisions is covered. 3 credits. (3 plus 0)
- Arranged: ACC 4990 Accounting Internship
- Online: MBA 6820 Fraud Examination – Prerequisite: MBA 5130 or MBA accounting major. This course will emphasize the conduct of fraud examinations, including a discussion of specific procedures used in forensic accounting examinations and the reasoning behind the use of these procedures. Detection, investigation, and prevention of specific types of fraud committed against organizations and individuals. 3 credits. (3 plus 0)
Interested in pursuing a career in public accounting? Check out these Indiana CPA Society YouTube videos and This Way to CPA by the American Institute of CPAs. Are you a blogger? See what the profession has to say at The Smoke Detector, AICPA Insights, Mission Minded, and Minnich Consulting. Tweets welcome.
The profession demands persons of integrity adhering to the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct.
College of Business
Academic Advisor Roles
Accounting, Society of Future Accountants
1Formerly known as Manchester College.
2Passed all four sections of the paper-based Uniform CPA Examination on the first attempt in May 2002 prior to Master of Accountancy graduation. As referenced by Pearson, one of the world’s toughest exams.
Sage Business Partner Certifications (former)
- Sage ACT! (customer relationship management software)
- Sage BusinessWorks (accounting software)
- Sage Fund Accounting (accounting software)
- Sage MAS 90 (accounting software)
- Sage MAS 90/20 ACT! Link (accounting/customer relationship management software)
- Course Coordinator (2014-2015), Manchester University: Develop and lead one of the Dynamic Development courses as part of a leadership development program for Steel Dynamics, Inc. employees.
- CPA/Consultant (2014-Present), Minnich Consulting: Certified public accountant (CPA) and business advisor serving as an accounting, business, and software resource for organizations in the community. Professional services include traditional accounting, bookkeeping, compilation, controllership, and accounting software training.
- CPA/Accounting Software Systems Consultant (2010-2012), DWD Technology Group (a division of Dulin, Ward & DeWald): Resumed role as a Systems Consultant at DWD Technology Group. With a not-for-profit and behavioral health focus, continued responsibilities for accounting software implementation, training, and client support. Services included system review and implementation; interfaces using Microsoft Access, Excel, and SQL; data imports and exports; upgrades; and report writing native to the software and via Crystal Reports. Training involved onsite, online, webinars, and user group meetings. Created and maintained first Sage Fund Accounting database hosted by the firm for a client. Primary support for Sage Fund Accounting and served as a backup for Sage BusinessWorks and MAS 90. Built Sage Fundraising 50 database using Microsoft Access as an intermediary for an international not-for-profit organization. Provided year-end closing and payroll support for clients. Also continued controller accounting services for clients which involved overseeing month-end accounting procedures, account reconciliations, adjustments, and financial statement discussions and review.
- Adjunct Instructor of Accounting (2011), Harrison College: Accounting II
- Financial Operations Analyst (2010), Parkview Health: Directed Parkview Health joint ventures toward attainment of their fiscal objectives and strategic plan through efficient resource utilization, cost effective delivery of care, sound financial management, and aggregation/communication of pertinent data. Participated in accomplishment of joint venture goals and Parkview Health strategic plans through collaboration with and support of unit teams, department managers, directors, and executives. Provided accounting services for six entities venturing with Parkview Health. These included Fort Wayne Endoscopy Center, Inverness Surgery Center, Northeast Indiana Cancer Center, and Parkview Ortho Hospital. Involvement included presenting financial results at monthly Board meetings.
- CPA/Accounting Software Systems Consultant (2004-2007), DWD Technology Group (a division of Dulin, Ward & DeWald): Provided accounting software consulting services for Sage products including BusinessWorks, Fundraising 50, MAS 90, and MIP Fund Accounting. Responsibilities also included controllership.
- Certified Public Accountant (2004-2007), Dulin, Ward & DeWald: Performed audits, compilations, and reviews. Prepared tax returns including 990s and payroll.
- Certified Public Accountant (2002-2004), Katz, Sapper & Miller: Engaged in audits, including 401(k); reviews; agreed upon procedures; systems consulting; and inventory observations. Prepared individual, for-profit business, personal holding company, and not-for-profit tax returns. Designed an Access database for the recruiting process. Interviewed on campus and accepted position prior to graduation.
- Audit/Tax Intern (2001), Baden, Gage & Schroeder: Engaged in audits, including 401(k); compilations; and reviews. Prepared individual, partnership, C-Corporation, S-Corporation, and property tax returns; financial statements; and S-Corporation tax return extensions. Performed physical inventory observation.
- Content Resource (10.02-10.10.14), Indiana CPA Society: Invited by the Society as a trusted professional to share knowledge with the membership and featured in a spotlight on the CPA Center of Excellence®.
- Discussion Leader (2014-Present), Indiana CPA Society: Speaker for various continuing professional education (CPE) seminars.
- Compilation and Review Engagement Fundamentals: Many new CPAs are not familiar with two of the local CPA firm’s most popular engagements: compilations and review of private companies. Shorten your learning time and increase your earning time by attending this hands-on course. First you will learn what distinguishes a compilation and review from a traditional audit. After an overview of current SSARS standards, you will walk through the steps of a compilation engagement followed with the same for a review engagement to increase concept comprehension and retention.
- IT Risks and Controls in Current and Emerging Environments: Accounting transactions and other types of processing are conducted in a variety of IT environments including traditional, such as Local Area Networks, or emerging, such as cloud and mobile computing. There are IT internal controls and risks that are unique to less complex, more complex, traditional and emerging technologies. This course will cover these topics and others including trust services associated with the internet and cloud computing, testing procedures, management controls, electronic evidence, COSO IT controls and the most recently ranked top IT technologies.
- Fusion Network (2014-Present), Indiana CPA Society: A blog site of the Fusion Network, a grassroots group creating awareness of emerging issues as part of the CPA Center of Excellence®.
- Interview (July 2014), Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly: Indiana is First to Allow CPAs to Fulfill Continuing Education Requirements Online
- Press Releases
Board of Directors and Committees
Community Transportation Network
- Treasurer, July 2014-Present
- Board of Directors, September 2013-Present
- Finance Committee, September 2013-Present
Financial Executives International-Fort Wayne Chapter
- Academic Relations Chair, July 2013-Present
- Board of Directors, July 2013-Present
- Member, July 2012-Present
Fort Wayne Dance Collective
- Finance Committee, 2013-Present
Indiana CPA Educational Foundation, Indiana CPA Society
- Treasurer, July 2014-Present
- Secretary, November 2013-June 2014
- Board of Trustees, November 2013-Present
Indiana CPA Society
- Leadership Cabinet, 2012-Present
Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana
- Golf Marathon Volunteer, May 2014-Present
- Bowl-A-Thon Board Advisor, April 2014-Present
- Golf Classic Volunteer, June 2013-Present
- Adventure Quest Committee, January 2013-Present
- Allen County Program Committee, October 2011-Present
- Board of Directors, October 2011-Present
Manchester University Alumni Association
- President Elect, January-December 2015
- Vice President, January 2013-December 2014
- Secretary, January-December 2012
- Board of Directors, January 2011-Present
North Side High School Alumni Association
- Board of Directors, 2007-2008
Honors and Awards
- Accounting Alumni Scholarship
- Evan Moss Scholarship
- Honors Scholarship
- Hoosier Scholarship
- Irwin Katz Accounting Excellence Award (Katz, Sapper & Miller)
- Manchester College Dean’s List
- Manchester Hoosier Scholarship
- National Dean’s List
- North Side Alumni Association Scholarship
- Presidential Scholarship
- Sterling Sentinel Nominee
- Who’s Who Among College Students
3Earned while attending Manchester University.
John J. Minnich, CPA, CGMA, MAcct is an Assistant Professor of Accounting with Indiana Tech. A native of Fort Wayne, he earned both a Bachelor’s degree in Financial Accounting (Magna Cum Laude) and a Master of Accountancy (MAcct) from Manchester College (currently Manchester University). His professional memberships include the American Accounting Association, American Institute of CPAs, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Financial Executives International, Indiana CPA Society where he serves on the Leadership Cabinet and as a seminar discussion leader, Sigma Beta Delta, and formerly Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana.
Having served nearly a decade in public accounting as a CPA and accounting software consultant, John currently volunteers as a board member for Community Transportation Network (treasurer), Financial Executives International-Fort Wayne Chapter (academic relations chair), Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana (Allen County program committee and classroom volunteer), Manchester University Alumni Association (vice president and career mentor), and as a trustee (treasurer) for the Indiana CPA Educational Foundation. He also participates on Fort Wayne Dance Collective‘s finance committee.
John resides in Fort Wayne with his wife, Carrie, also a CPA. He regularly attends networking events and professional development sessions in our community. His hobbies include playing basketball and golf, attending Komet hockey (season ticket holder since 2007) and TinCaps games, watching movies and sports, and running.